Best Keto Chocolate + Peppermint Cupcakes
These Keto Chocolate + Peppermint Cupcakes are what we call absolutely delicious and healthy at the same time! Not only are these cupcakes completely fluffy and moist, but they come fully decadent with a sweet chocolate + peppermint flavors and topped with a beautifully light, tasty buttercream. All organic ingredients, easy to whip together, and the perfect low-calorie bite. Completely Gluten-free. Vegan option available!
Servings 12 Cupcakes
- 1 1/2 cups Fine Almond flour (I use Bob's Red Mill)
- 1/4 cup Keto Cacao Powder + 2 Tbsps! (I use Navitas Organics; See Notes!)
- 2 1/4 tsps baking powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/3 cup Almond milk (I use So Delicious Dairy-Free)
- 1/2 tsp peppermint extract (double amount for more flavor!) (I use McCormicks)
- 3 large organic eggs, whisked (I use Organic Valley; See Notes for Vegan option!)
- 1/3 cup organic pure cane sugar (See Notes!; I use Wholesome Sweeteners)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Chocolate (Cacao) Buttercream:
- 1/4 cup vegan butter spread (I use Earths Balance)
- 1/4 cup organic vegetable shortening (I use Spectrum Organics)
- 2-3 cups organic powered sugar, sifted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup Keto Cacao powder, sifted (I use Navitas Organics)
- 1/4 cup Almond milk (You can use your favorite plant-based milk!)
- crushed peppermint candy canes, garnish
Begin by preheating your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and prep your cupcake pan with liners + spray.
In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, Keto Cacao powder, baking powder, sugar, and sea salt. Now add the milk, vanilla, peppermint extract, and whisked eggs, stirring until well combined. **NOTE: Don't OVER-MIX! Mix just until combined.**
Divide the batter evenly into each cupcake cavity and bake for 14-16 minutes or until the centers are fully cooked through once tested with a toothpick.
Remove from the oven and let cool before icing them.
For Chocolate Buttercream:
In the bowl of an electric mixer (attached with a paddle), beat the butter and shortening on high speed until smooth and creamy, about 2 minutes.
Turning the mixer on low, add the Keto Cacao powder followed by the Almond milk. Slowly add the powered sugar (1/2 the amount) and vanilla, mixing them together until well combined. Add the remaining powered sugar and mix until well combined and fluffy, about 3-4 minutes. **NOTE: If the frosting is too thick, add additional milk (1 Tsp at a time); if it’s too thin, add additional powered sugar (1 Tbsp at a time). Wallah!
Once cupcakes are fully cooled, add buttercream to a piping bag and pipe a generous amount to your cupcakes, until all cupcakes are iced. Top with crushed peppermint candy, if preferred.
FLOUR: If you don’t have Almond flour, be sure to check within my post for additional Keto flour options!
CACAO POWDER: To purchase Keto Cacao Powder from Navitas Organics, visit link here.
VEGAN OPTION: Feel free to substitute the eggs with an egg replacer (Bob's Red Mill has a great one!) or using 'flax eggs'; 1 flax egg = 1 Tbsp flaxseed meal + 3 Tbsps warm water.
SUGAR: If you choose to opt out of using pure cane sugar, feel free to substitute with granulated erythritol or Lakanto Classic Sugar which are the best for Keto recipes.
STORAGE: Keep cake tightly wrapped using plastic wrap and refrigerated for about 1 week.