Easy Vegan Black Bean Tacos
This Easy Vegan Black Bean Tacos recipe is packed with major Mexican-inspired flavors and spices! They say you should eat the rainbow, which is definitely the case with these plant-based protein-packed tacos! Think beans, red cabbage, tomatoes, spinach, mango, jalapeños, and creamy avocado (the star of the show). A healthy vegan lunch or dinner with a gluten-free option that is ready within minutes!
Servings 6 tacos
Avocado Basil Mango Dressing:
- 1 Medium Hass Avocado, cored removed + peeled
- 2 cups mangoes, frozen or fresh (See Notes!)
- 1 handful basil leaves
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- juice of lemon
- ⅓ cup Extra virgin olive oil (See Notes!)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
Black Beans + Taco Seasoning:
- 1 (15 oz.) can black beans, cooked (See Notes!)
- 2 Tbsps chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- soft flour or corn tortillas, any size (See Notes!)
- ½ medium red cabbage, finely chopped
- 1 cup organic spinach, finely chopped (See Notes!)
- grape tomatoes, halved (optional)
- 1 hass avocado, peeled, cored + diced
- 1 jalapeño, diced
To Make the Avocado Basil Mango Dressing:
Add together the mango, avocado, olive oil, basil leaves, and juice of a lemon to a blender and blend on high speed until smooth. **NOTE: If using frozen mangoes, the sauce might be extremely thick, therefore, I'd suggest adding ½ cup of water + more as needed.**
Then add sea salt, garlic, pinch of oregano, and dried parsley to sauce and blend for another minute or two, until completely smooth. **NOTE: Add additional seasoning to taste.**
Add sauce to a small bowl or container and keep in the refrigerator until ready to use.
To Make the Black Bean Tacos:
In a medium skillet, add 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium-high heat. Once heated, add black beans and taco seasoning, mixing together and cooking beans on medium-low until cooked. through, about 8-10 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
To assemble tacos, add 2 Tbsps of black beans atop a charred tortilla (See Notes!), red cabbage, spinach, diced tomatoes, sliced avocados, and top with jalapeños. Repeat until desired amount of tacos are made. Drizzle a generous amount of Avocado Basil Mango sauce over tacos and enjoy!
- STORAGE: Place any leftover ingredients in a tightly sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
- MAKE AHEAD: All ingredients can be made and individually stored as meal prep (excluding tortillas) and assembled when ready to serve.
- BLACK BEANS: When using dried beans, be sure to soak about 5-6 cups of black beans in a pot or bowl covered with water overnight. To begin cooking, rinse the soaked beans and add fresh water to a pot along with beans. Boil for the first 10 minutes and then reduce the heat and let simmer for 30-40 minutes or until black beans are tender.
- OIL: Instead of extra virgin olive oil, you can also use grapeseed oil or vegetable oil, if preferred.
- MANGOES: If you decide to use frozen mangoes, be sure to add water to sauce when blending so that it becomes "liquid-y".
- TORTILLAS: To lightly toast taco tortillas, preheat oven on 350 degrees Fahrenheit and place tortillas directly on rack. Turn off oven once heated and let tortillas warm for 2 minutes. Remove from oven. For char on a stovetop, pop one of the tortillas unto a gas burner until you begin to see a little smoke. Remove tortilla to rotate it onto opposite side until it’s lightly charred. Repeat until all tortillas are charred.