Dairy-Free Strawberry French Toast Trifle
This beautiful layered trifle is made with baked dairy-free french toast and homemade strawberry sauce.
Servings 4 servings
- 1 loaf Brioche bread, sliced (Ensure that this is vegan-friendly)
- 1 1/2 cups Almond milk (You can use your favorite plant-based milk!)
- 3 large eggs, at room temp.
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground allspice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsps pure maple syrup
SIMPLE STRAWBERRY TOPPING:
- 2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 1/2 cup organic cane sugar
- 1/4 cup filtered water
- 1 tsp freshly-squeezed lemon juice
- Coconut whipped cream, homemade or store-bought (See Notes!)
- Fresh strawberries, sliced
- Pure maple syrup, for drizzle
- Toasted pecans, optional (See Notes!)
TO MAKE FRENCH TOAST:
Pre-heat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Whisk together all the ingredients (except for the bread) into a large bowl and set aside so that everything marries together and activates, about 5 minutes.
Next, dip 1 slice of bread into the mixture, shaking off any excess liquid and place it onto prepared baking sheet. Repeat until all breads are dipped.
Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown and crisp.
TO MAKE THE SIMPLE STRAWBERRY TOPPING:
In a saucepan, add together all ingredients over medium-high heat, stirring until combined. Once strawberries begin to soften, continue stirring until mixture begins to thicken a bit, about 5-6 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.
Once done----remove the bread from the oven and cut each bread into medium-sized cubes.
Create trifle by adding a few cubes of bread to the bottom of a jar or glass, followed by coconut whipped cream, and 1-2 Tbsps of strawberry topping. Repeat layer once more.
Make sure that coconut whipped cream is at the very top of trifle and top with fresh strawberry slices, toasted pecans (if using), and and maple syrup, if desired and enjoy!
- BREAD: Instead of brioche bread, you can also use vegan challah or ciabatta bread or any other rustic bread. In most cases, day old bread works best!
- HOMEMADE VEGAN BRIOCHE: To make your own vegan brioche bread, see my latest recipe.
- TOASTED PECANS: Add chopped pecans to a baking sheet and toasting them in the oven (400 degrees Fahrenheit) for 5-10 minutes, tossing them halfway to avoid browning on one side.