Fall Harvest Apple Kale Salad
This healthy fall harvest salad is loaded with caramelized apples, toasted nuts, dried fruit and a creamy dairy-free salad dressing.
Servings 6 servings
- 1 medium Gala apple
- 1 medium Honeycrisp apple
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp ground allspice
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 large bunches curly kale (about 1 lb. each)
- 1/2 medium red onion
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup shelled pumpkin seeds, toasted if desired
DAIRY-FREE LEMON-GARLIC DRESSING:
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
TO ROAST APPLES + NUTS:
Arrange a rack in the middle of the oven and heat the oven to 375°F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
Halve, core, and thinly slice 1 medium Gala and 1 medium Honeycrisp apple (no need to peel). Place in a medium bowl. Add 1/4 cup maple syrup, 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg, and 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice. Stir and toss until the apples are fully coated.
Transfer to one half of the baking sheet and arrange into an even layer. Place 1 cup chopped pecans and 1 cup walnuts on the other half of the baking sheet and arrange into an even layer.
Bake until the nuts are browned and fragrant, and the apples are golden and tender but still a bit crisp, 15 to 20 minutes. Set aside to cool while you make the dressing.
TO MAKE DRESSING:
Mince 3 garlic cloves and place in a large jar or medium bowl. Add 1 cup vegan mayonnaise, 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk, 1 teaspoon lemon juice, 1 teaspoon dried parsley, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper. Seal the jar and shake or whisk together until smooth and creamy. Refrigerate until ready to use.
TO MAKE SALAD:
Strip the leaves from 2 large bunches kale and discard the stems. Coarsely chop the leaves. Thinly slice 1/2 medium red onion (scant 1 cup). Place the kale and onion in a large bowl. Add the roasted apples, pecans, walnuts, 1/2 cup dried cranberries, and 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds.
Drizzle with the dressing when ready to serve and toss to combine.
- STORAGE: Leftovers can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 2 days.
- MAKE AHEAD: The nuts can be toasted and the dressing made up to 2 days ahead. Store the nuts at room temperature and refrigerate the dressing in separate airtight containers. The salad can be tossed up to 30 minutes before serving.