Jerk Vegetable Farro Bowl with Maple Herb Apples
This Farro bowl is the ultimate plant-based dish for the entire family. Notes of spicy and sweet, which create a beautiful balance of texture and flavor.
Servings 2 servings
- 1 cup Bob's Red Mill Organic Farro (See Notes!)
- 3 cups organic vegetable stock, low-sodium
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
MAPLE HERB APPLES:
- 2 Gala apples, sliced (with skin on)
- 1 tablespoon Extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 small sweet potatoes, peeled + chopped (About 1lb. each)
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 (15 oz.) can chickpeas, drained + rinsed (See Notes!)
- 2 Tbsps jerk seasoning, homemade or store-bought (See Notes!)
- 1 ½ Tbsps Extra virgin olive oil
DAIRY-FREE GARLIC DRESSING:
- 1 cup vegan mayo
- ½ cup Almond milk, unsweetened
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- sea salt + black pepper, to taste
ROASTED JERK VEGGIES:
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and prepare TWO baking sheets by lining them with parchment paper.
In a bowl, add the chopped sweet potatoes, broccoli, and chickpeas along with the olive oil and jerk seasoning, gently mixing everything together until veggies are fully coated.
Add the veggies unto the baking sheet (in a single layer) and and bake for 25-30 minutes or until veggies are charred, wilted, and crisp.
TO ROAST MAPLE HERB APPLES:
Add the sliced apples in a bowl with maple syrup + herb seasonings, mixing everything together until apples are fully coated. Place until the other prepared baking sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes or until apples are golden, wilted, and crisp.
TO COOK FARRO:
Begin by adding veggie stock + salt in a medium saucepan over high heat. Rinse the farro grains and add to pot, bringing mixture to a bowl. Reduce heat to medium-high heat and let it cook for about 30 minutes or until farro swells a bit and becomes soft. Once fully cooked, drain off excess liquid and set aside.
TO MAKE BOWL:
Once done, remove roasted veggies + apples from the oven and set them aside.
To assemble: spoon farro into low bowl(s) or plate(s) evenly, followed by roasted jerk veggies (grouped side by side), maple herb apples, and top with drizzle of garlic dressing.
- FARRO: To learn about the best ways to cook Farro, see above post. To purchase it, visit Bob's Red Mill!
- STORAGE: Any leftovers can be kept in a tightly sealed container and refrigerated for 3-4 days.
- DRESSING (STORAGE): Any leftover dressing can be kept in a tightly sealed mason jar or container and refrigerated for 3-4 days.
- SERVING: To make this dish for a bigger family, simply double (or triple) all ingredients.
- MAKE AHEAD: All ingredients can be made and individually stored as meal prep and assembled when ready to serve.
- BEANS: You can always spruce things up by substituting the chickpeas with other beans that work perfectly such as black beans, red beans, lentils, white beans, green peas.
- JERK SEASONING/MARINADE: To make your own homemade Jerk Seasoning/Marinade, visit my recipe here.