Quick + Easy Blood Orange Kale Salad
Make this quick and easy Blood Orange Kale Salad for a healthy, fruity lunch or side dish. It's packed with fresh and roasted vegetables and fruit and full of essential nutrients. Add your favorite dressing to make every bite to your liking!
Servings 2 servings
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa, original or multi-color
- 2 cups fresh water
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 4 cups kale, de-stemmed + chopped (Roasted, if desired)
- 2 Tbsps Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 cups fresh strawberries, stems removed + halved
- 2 blood oranges, thinly sliced (skin on)
- 2 cups croutons, homemade or store-bought
- 2 cups Herb roasted tomatoes (See Notes!)
DAIRY-FREE GARLIC DRESSING:
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
ROAST THE KALE:
If you choose to roast your kale, simply preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and line a baking sheet with parchment. Add chopped kale unto baking sheet, spreading evenly and drizzle with olive oil and salt. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until kale is wilted + crisp. Remove from oven.
TO COOK QUINOA:
Begin by adding the water and salt to a medium saucepan over medium-high heat until it begins to boil. Add in the quinoa, whisking continuously while boiling for 1-2 minutes. Reduce heat to bring to a simmer for 10-15 minutes, whisking every 3-4 minutes until fully cooked through, and water has dried, and the quinoa has thickened. Remove from heat and let it cool.
TO MAKE SALAD:
In a large bowl, add the roasted kale, cooked quinoa, strawberries, sliced blood oranges, croutons, and roasted tomatoes, tossing everything together.
TO MAKE DRESSING:
Mince 3 garlic cloves and place in a large jar or medium bowl. Add vegan mayonnaise, unsweetened almond milk, dried parsley, garlic powder, salt, and black pepper. Seal the jar and shake or whisk together until smooth and creamy.
Drizzle with the dressing when ready to serve and toss to combine.
- STORAGE: Leftovers can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 2 days.
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS: To add more flavor to this salad, you can add the following ingredients: mango, peaches, oranges, olives, figs, spinach, arugula, romaine lettuce, and so on.
- MAKE AHEAD: The roasted tomatoes and quinoa can be made up to 2 days beforehand and stored in an airtight container and refrigerated. The dressing can be made and refrigerated in a separate airtight container. The salad can be tossed up to 30 minutes before serving.
- HERB ROASTED TOMATOES: To see the recipe, tap this link.