Creamy Caramel Hot Chocolate (Dairy-Free)
Three kinds of chocolate, sweet caramel, and a hint of vanilla come together in this Creamy Homemade Caramel Hot Chocolate. Ready in under ten minutes, the smooth velvety texture and decadent chocolate flavors are perfect for cold winter nights.
Servings 4 servings
- 2 cups Oat milk (You can use your favorite plant-based milk!)
- 1 (14 oz.) can full-fat coconut milk/cream
- 1 cup dark chocolate bar, chopped (Ensure that it's dairy-free, of course!)
- 1 1/2 cups semi-sweet chocolate bar, chopped (Ensure that it's dairy-free, of course!)
- 2 Tbsps organic cocoa powder
- 2 Tbsps pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup vegan caramel sauce
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of ground cinnamon
HOMEMADE VEGAN CARAMEL SAUCE:
- 1 cup organic brown sugar
- 6 Tbsps vegan butter
- 1/2 cup full-fat coconut milk
- pinch of sea salt
- Vegan marshmallows
- Coconut whipped cream
- Semi-sweet chocolate bar shavings (Ensure that it's dairy-free, of course!)
- Vegan Caramel Sauce, drizzle
TO MAKE HOMEMADE VEGAN CARAMEL SAUCE:
Heat the brown sugar in a medium skillet over medium-high heat and stir constantly using a rubber spatula until clumps are formed. Add vegan butter and continue to stir until everything has melted and become a dark 'amber-like' color. Continue to stir consistently until fully melted and bubbly, about 2-3 minutes.
Now, slowly whisk in the coconut milk and continue stirring until well incorporated and sauce has fully thickened. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly before using. Set aside.
TO MAKE THE HOT COCOA:
In a saucepan over medium-high heat, add the milk and coconut cream and bring to a boil for 1-2 minutes, whisking to combine.
Add the cocoa powder and continue to whisk until fully incorporated and smooth. Turn the heat to low and add chopped chocolates, vanilla, caramel sauce, maple syrup, and spices. Continue to whisk until completely smooth and mixture becomes thickened. NOTE: If hot chocolate isn't sweet enough, you can add an additional 1 Tbsp of maple syrup.
To serve, pour hot chocolate in prepared mug(s) and top with marshmallows or coconut whipped cream and sprinkle with chocolate shavings and a caramel sauce drizzle, if desired.
Sip and enjoy!
- SWEETENER: You can always use Agave, maple syrup, Vegan honey, or organic brown sugar as a sweetener, For vegan honey—-Bee Free Honee, click link.
- STORAGE: Best when consumed once prepared. If there is leftovers, simply store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
- CHOCOLATE: If preferred, you can always use dairy-free chocolate baking chips instead of chocolate bars. However, for best results----chocolate bars are what I recommend.
- MAKE AHEAD: Simply make your hot chocolate a day in advance and follow storage instructions. To reheat, simply add hot chocolate to a medium saucepan and heat over the stove top for about 3-4 minutes, whisking consistently.
- OTHER SPICES: To really spruce things up, you can always choose to mix and match the following spices: instant espresso powder, allspice, cayenne pepper, or turmeric.