One-Bowl Double Chocolate Sheet Cake
This One-Bowl Double Chocolate Sheet Cake is a whole lot of chocolate-y goodness that melts-in-your-mouth and satisfies every single sweet tooth. Not only is it completely moist, + fluffy, but it’s also loaded with the best decadent Superfood----cacao and is paired with a deliciously whipped chocolate buttercream frosting, which both works amazingly together. A definite crowd-pleasing treat for the entire family. Oil-free. Vegan option.
Servings 12 servings
- 3 cups super fine cake flour (Can also sub with all-purpose flour)
- 1/2 cup Navitas Organics' Organic Cacao Powder
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- pinch of ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 1/2 cups organic pure cane sugar
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened at room temp. (That's 2 sticks!)
- 3 organic eggs, room temp
- 2 tsps vanilla extract
- 1 cup plant-based 'buttermilk' (That’s Almond milk + 1 Tbsp lemon juice)
Whipped Chocolate Buttercream Frosting:
- 4-5 cups organic powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup Navitas Organics' Organic Cacao Powder
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened at room temp.
- pinch of sea salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup Almond milk (You can use your fave plant-based milk)
To Make Chocolate Cake:
Begin by preheating your oven to350 degrees Fahrenheit. Lightly grease OR line with parchment paper an 8-inch square pan (for a thicker cake) or a 9 x 13 baking pan.
In a large bowl, add the sugar and unsalted butter, mixing with a handheld mixer until fluffy and airy.
Add in the eggs, vanilla, baking powder, followed by the flour, cinnamon, salt, and ‘buttermilk’; mixing until well combined and lump-free.
Pour batter evenly into prepared pan, spreading everything around for a perfect evenness.
Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the center of the cake comes out clean using a toothpick or butter knife.
Once done, remove cake from the oven and let cool completely.
To Make Whipped Chocolate Buttercream Frosting:
In a large bowl, add the powdered sugar and unsalted butter together, beating until it looks 'peas-like'. Beat in the salt, vanilla, and milk until buttercream is creamy and fluffy.
**NOTE: If buttercream is too 'runny', add additional powdered sugar (1 Tbsp at a time); if too thick, add additional milk (1 Tbsp at a time).**
Using a spatula, top cooled cake with buttercream and gently spread over the top until fully coated and even.
Slice into squares and enjoy!
- STORAGE: Keep cake tightly wrapped using plastic wrap and refrigerated for up to 5 days. To store frozen (frosted or unfrosted), simply tightly wrap and cover cake and freeze for up to 2-3 months. To serve, thaw in the refrigerator overnight and bring to room temperature.
- CUPCAKES: This recipe yields about 30 cupcakes. Simply bake for 18-20 minutes instead, until centers come out clean.
- PLANT-BASED BUTTERMILK: Add 1 cup of Almond milk (or your fave plant-based milk) + 1 Tbsp lemon juice and let sit for 10 minutes, until it slightly thickens.
- FLOUR: If you don’t have cake flour, you can always just use all-purpose flour entirely instead.
- VEGAN OPTION: To make this cake vegan, simply substitute eggs and unsalted butter with Apple Cider Vinegar (1 Tbsp) to be mixed in with the plant-based milk instead of ‘buttermilk’. In addition, add baking soda.
- MAKE AHEAD: You can always bake this cake the night or day before and let it cool, tightly wrap, and refrigerate until ready to use. The buttercream frosting can also be made prior and tightly wrapped and stored in the fridge as well. When ready to serve, let cake sit at room temperature for 30 minutes to an hour, frost, and enjoy!
- CACAO: You can purchase the Navitas Organic's Cacao Powder + Cacao Sweet Nibs via the links.